Crew is committed to respecting the environment, the culture and the communities in which we operate.
Promoting collaboration and innovation to create a sustainable and prosperous future, Crew’s Ingenuity, Teamwork, and a Commitment to Excellence comprise the foundation that supports our core values and principles.
Together, these are the values that empower us to continuously improve and strive to achieve our best.
At Crew, we have an ‘energy’ – in both the products that we produce and in our people – that has the power to create a better tomorrow.
At the heart of our Company is the word ‘crew’, a group of people working together to achieve a common goal.
Crew’s long-term sustainability is centered on enhancing our business to generate positive returns for stakeholders while respecting and honouring our core principles of ESG. Involving a diverse group, a nimble approach, and out-of-the-box thinking has enabled individuals across the entire Company to drive positive change that maximizes efficiencies and improves operations.
Often, our ESG initiatives lead to operational cost savings and drive profitability, demonstrating a direct and positive link between improved ESG performance and financial sustainability.
This way of thinking has helped Crew craft strategies, targets, and goals with a clear vision that fully aligns the whole team towards a common goal.
Our Strategic Approach
Our Entrepreneurial Drive & Ingenuity
Embracing innovation, creativity and thinking outside the box.
Crew’s team combines decades of proven oil and gas expertise with technological innovation, an agile approach, and unconventional thinking to maximize efficiency and improve operations.
An integral part of Crew’s operations is a strong safety culture. Nothing is more important than protecting our ‘crew’ and ensuring the safety of our employees, contractors, and communities.
Crew’s commitment to constant improvement includes a focus on training, emergency preparedness, open communication, and a consistent safety message reinforced by our leadership. Crew recognizes that the energy driving our production and success comes from our people.
For us, our name ‘Crew’ has a deeper meaning, it represents our people, our family. We aim to ensure that Crew is a fun and rewarding place to work, learn and grow. Diversity for Crew is obtaining ideas and perspectives from people, at all levels, and coming together to positively impact our industry, workplace, and the communities that we serve.
We embrace a supportive and inclusive environment that values diverse skills, backgrounds, cultures and thought.
Commitment to Excellence
When we set our mind to something, we achieve it.
Continuing with our sustainability journey that is focused on an ambitious ESG strategy, we aim to demonstrate the highest environmental and social stewardship standards.
This means always looking for ways to continuously improve, going against the grain of conventional thinking, and pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
At Crew, we have a culture that embraces the opportunities and challenges set before us to reduce our environmental footprint and proactively work together to mitigate climate change as we move towards a lower-carbon future.
Enhancing Our Business
Enhancing our business to generate positive returns for stakeholders while respecting and honouring our core principles of ESG.
Underpinning Crew’s long-term strategy is our unwavering commitment to safely and responsibly operating in the communities in which we operate, while focussing on our ESG initiatives.
We understand the importance of ESG oversight at the highest level and have established a new Corporate Governance, Environment, Health, Safety, and Sustainability (“GEHS&S”) Committee, constituted with members of our Board of Directors, with oversight of our ongoing ESG and sustainability performance.
The Importance of Accurate Real-time Measurement to Drive Improvements
In 2019 Crew recognized gaps in how our environmental metrics were measured and tracked. Since that time, we have made significant strides to identify opportunities across our business to enhance measurement and reporting on material ESG metrics. Some initiatives that we have undertaken to achieve this include:
“What is measured can be improved”
– James Taylor, Chief Operating Officer of Crew
Invested over $200,000 in measurement technology, including the installation of 52 additional gas meters and SCADA at our heavy oil operations to measure and forecast vented gas emissions proactively, accurately, and consistently. (heavy oil asset sold as of August 1, 2021)
An internally developed tracking system, along with external web-based software (Envirosoft) to enable more efficient and accurate tracking and forecasting of our greenhouse gas emissions profile.
Implemented the Digital Action Tracking System (DATS), an incident reporting tracking system, which is used to track all incidents and document root cause, preventative measures, and document remediation.
Accurately measuring and tracking our performance enables us to make informed decisions across our operations and future developments. This enhances our ESG performance and contributes to the sustainable growth of our business.
ESG Guiding Principles
Responsible resource development and meeting or exceeding regulatory requirements. A constant pursuit of excellence.
Protecting the environment is a principle we firmly stand behind. At Crew, we embrace innovative industry-leading technologies to reduce our environmental footprint while remaining focused on generating value for shareholders.
Our Commitments in Action
- On September 1, 2021, Crew commissioned a waste heat recovery system at our West Septimus facility. During the 122 days the system was in operation in 2021, emissions were reduced by 2,239 tCO2e. This system also increased condensate stabilization capacity by 20% to over 5,000 bbls per day.**
- Crew is the first Canadian energy producer to receive regulatory approval from the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission (“OGC”) for the installation and operation of a next-generation, spoolable temporary surface pipeline for produced water transfer, confirming Crew’s commitment to improving efficiencies, reducing emissions and continuing to be a responsible operator.
- Crew successfully participated in the various provincially funded dormant well programs and initiated abandonment and reclamation activities on 71 wells in 2021.
- Achieved a 94% compliance rating in 2021, with 204 regulatory inspections across the three provinces we were operating in.
** Crew gratefully acknowledges assistance from the Province of British Columbia’s CleanBC Industry Fund for their support of this project.
Providing strong and effective governance to protect people, stakeholders, and Crew’s assets, while seeking to deliver robust returns.
Crew believes strong corporate governance, transparency, and integrity set the foundation for ethical and effective decisions while contributing to the alignment between our Board of Directors (“Board”), management, and stakeholders.
Our Commitments in Action
- Establishment of a Board led sub-committee that has oversight over our ESG performance and future targets.
- Crew has formed an ESG Steering Committee that monitors ESG trends, communicates potential risks and supports informed decision-making from an ESG lens across our operations.
- Our leadership and management are responsible for overseeing the strategic direction and implementation of our ESG strategy by working closely with operations and internal teams to identify and implement sustainable solutions quickly.
- 15% of short-term incentive compensation is tied to ESG targets in 2022.
- Crew conducted a materiality assessment in 2021 to identify material issues and risks that may have a significant business impact on Crew’s operations, as determined by both internal and external stakeholders surveyed.
- Analyzing project viability based on financial and environmental metrics.